- Jnr Sec
Posts Tagged social networking sites
There was an interesting article Published in the Courier Mail last week and forwarded to me by Mr Jason Cooper. The lead sentence stated that:
QUEENSLAND schools are struggling to contain an outbreak of malicious student-run gossip sites, with authorities shutting down at least one a day.
Education Queensland has employed the services of a former detective to investigate students’ Facebook sites and shut them down if they are negative, derogatory, defamatory or incite violence. Teachers and principals are also being targeted in these sites, and the department is ‘aggressively’ hunting down those responsible.
Clinical psychologist Associate Professor Alan Ralph equated these groups to exclusive, secret societies whose members thank the activity is “not being monitored and that it’s a private conversation. Parents feel like there’s nothing they can do and there’s an element of helplessness.”
Dr Michael Carr-Gregg, Australia’s pre-eminent child psychologist and cyber-bullying expert coined the phrase “digital Dutch courage” when referring to such Facebook users. “Because there’s no face-to-face stuff and there’s an illusion of anonymity, very nice kids will say and do things online that they would never do in real life.”
Sending a message of support to those being bullied, rather than confronting the cyberbully can be a positive action on behalf of innocent bystanders. Joining, liking, supporting or not reporting such groups is tantamount to perpetrating the actual negativity that they promote.
Dr Carr-Gregg also ‘urged parents to restrict their children’s use of social networking sites and stop “out-sourcing responsibility for cyber-safety to schools”.’ At Coomera Anglican College, we have been, and will continue to be proactive in getting across the message of Cybersafety in all its shapes and forms. Currently in development is our own stand- alone Cybersafety Website that gathers all the best resources from the internet and sequences them into teaching strings for schools to use. We also have a Cybersafety Cheat Sheet available in this week’s newsletter. Please have a look at this sheet as it shows you how you can keep a close eye on your child’s internet use so that they can stay safe and have positive experiences in a n online world.
eSmart WeekSafer Internet DaySeptember 7th, 2015Go to the events page for activities.
Safe School DropBox
eSmart Parents Resources
eSmart Assembly Resources
- RT @jorganiser: Can't wait 4 the launch of @The_GoldCoaster. It will revolutionise community & tourist interaction #thegoldcoaster http://… 3 years ago
- RT @Greatestjobever: In case you hadn't noticed yesterday, #GreatestJobEver is going to Peru! bit.ly/1rI7JTZ http://t.co/9pVV2ArdQd 3 years ago
- RT @venemy: 1st day of #IGF2014 in Istanbul - I'll be tweeting live from sessions all week, from this account & some from @eSmart_AMF 3 years ago
- RT @CommsAu: We’re live-tweeting from the launch of Stay Smart Online Week! Follow #staysmartonline and #SSOW2014 3 years ago
- Stay Smart Online Week activities wp.me/P1zJPG-b0 3 years ago
- How can we make a better internet together? wp.me/p1zJPG-kL 3 years ago
- Chatterbox wp.me/p1zJPG-kH 3 years ago
- Happy Valentine’s Day wp.me/p1zJPG-kF 3 years ago
- Easter is Coming wp.me/p1zJPG-kC 3 years ago
- Chatterbox – A Parent’s Guide to Their Child’s Digital Activities wp.me/p1zJPG-kz 3 years ago
- LOCATED Missing man, Broadbeach
- What a team
- Search for paddle board owner, Main Beach
- Speeding P-plater detected, Oxenford
- Woman charged over wilful damage and threats to police station – Coomera
- Update – Assault investigation arrest, Loganlea
- Dared to be scared this Halloween?
- Armed robbery, Varsity Lakes
- Sexual assault charges, Logan
- Police seize drugs and cash, Coomera
CyberSafety Net Tag Cloud21st century learning acma back up backup blog blogging blogs chatterbox Cloud computer repair shop cyberbullying cybersafety data digital footprint digital literacy digital natives domestic violence resource esmart esmartz eXperts external hard drive facebook flip the classroom free online tools group task innocent bystanders Instagram josh kidshelpline michael carr gregg National Cybersecurity Awareness Week new paradigms open source parental conrol bar parents parent zone pd pla qsite repairs safer internet day safe search SDI 2013 search searching selfies sexting SID sid 2014 skydrive sloth social networking social networking sites software staff experts student welfare support sessions teachers teaching and learning technology plan threatening phone calls training tutorials twitter valentine verbal threats We Web 2.0 windows 8 workflow