Posts Tagged parental conrol bar
How do I filter out all the ads and inappropriate content when my kids watch YouTube?
You can try these links for more information …
How can I filter nasty websites, set time restrictions and make the internet as safe as possible?
K9 Web Protection is a free tool that will:
- Block web sites in more than 70 categories, including pornography, gambling, drugs, violence/hate/racism, malware/spyware, phishing
- Force SafeSearch on all major search engines
- Set time restrictions to block web access during designated times
- Configure custom lists for “always allow” and “always block”
- Override a web page block with password
- Trust the enhanced anti-tampering, even children can’t break
- View easy reports to monitor and control web activity
- Real-time categorization of new adult and malicious sites
The Parental Control Bar is a similar tool that controls access via a password.
Netbox Blue has a product called CyberSafeHouse that offers a paid version of this function.
Year 3 – Fact or Fiction is all about making informed choices
Habit of Mind Focus #6: Striving For Accuracy and Precision
When completing these activities and thinking about the concepts, students should reflect on the need to be accurate and precise in their their learning. Making informed choices about the information they find on the internet is very important and a skill they will need in order to successfully learn at any age.
What is a search?
To find information on the internet, you need to do a search. To search for information, we use a web browser and a search engine.
What is a web browser?
What is a web search?
There are many different types of search engines. Click here to look at a list. The two most popular search engines are:
Discuss the difference between a web browser and a search engine. Then, look at how to create better web searches. For a more detailed explanation, watch ‘How Search Works’.
Play ‘Googlewhack‘ to see which show has more search results – ‘Glee’ or ‘The Simpsons’
There are some great sites for parents who want to encourage safe searching with their children – Managing Kids’ Search Queries, Kids.net.au (Search engine for kids), Comprehensive search engine advice, Parental Controls on search engines and Google SafeSearch Engine. Download the Parental Control Bar for peace of mind.