- Jnr Sec
Posts Tagged kidshelpline
An interesting article appeared on news.com.au during the school break. The item referred to Australia as being the Facebook bullying capital of the world based, on a study conducted by The Ipsos Social Research Institute. In this study, Australia was ranked fifth in the world for cyber-bullying, although nine out of ten parents say that when cyber-bullying occurred, it was via such sites as Facebook.
The article goes on to say that the rise of cyber bullying was a massive concern as it took it harassment from the playground directly into victim’s bedrooms. John Dalgleish, Kids Helpline manager of strategy and research, was quoted as saying “Cyber bullying has a profound impact as it widens the audience (from school) and means it can be seen by anyone. It can be used as an extension of face-to-face bullying and takes it from the classroom and into a child’s own bedroom undermining their sense of safety and security.”
KidsHelpline offers counseling to bullying victims, and Mr Dalgleish prompts children to come forward and speak out. Children who feel threatened can tell a trusted adult, teacher or parent who can take action on their behalf, and in extreme cases take it to the police. “The first thing victims need to know is it’s not their fault. Action can be taken and it can be stopped.”
At Coomera Anglican College, we are dedicated to promoting safe internet and mobile phone use. In Term One, we will launch our own CyberSafety website for parents, students and teachers to consult.
The introduction of laptops across the College has really taken our learning capabilities to a new and exciting level. Whilst the students love having access to a laptop that they can call their own, I have been impressed by the response of the teachers and the way that they have embraced the technology. Teachers in general are notorious for not wanting to change their ways and modify what they have perfected over the years. Through a combination of dynamic teamwork, willingness to develop skills and the realisation that using technology can enhance a student’s education, our teachers are making the necessary changes to fully utilise laptops and their features.(Killalea, D. and Paine, C., January 18, 2012. ANTI-SOCIAL NETWORK: Australia – the Facebook bullying capital, http://www.news.com.au/technology/anti-social-network-australia-the-facebook-bullying-capital/story-e6frfro0-1226246496953#ixzz1kzdtURlc)
eSmart WeekSafer Internet DaySeptember 7th, 2015Go to the events page for activities.
Safe School DropBox
eSmart Parents Resources
eSmart Assembly Resources
- RT @jorganiser: Can't wait 4 the launch of @The_GoldCoaster. It will revolutionise community & tourist interaction #thegoldcoaster http://… 3 years ago
- RT @Greatestjobever: In case you hadn't noticed yesterday, #GreatestJobEver is going to Peru! bit.ly/1rI7JTZ http://t.co/9pVV2ArdQd 3 years ago
- RT @venemy: 1st day of #IGF2014 in Istanbul - I'll be tweeting live from sessions all week, from this account & some from @eSmart_AMF 3 years ago
- RT @CommsAu: We’re live-tweeting from the launch of Stay Smart Online Week! Follow #staysmartonline and #SSOW2014 3 years ago
- Stay Smart Online Week activities wp.me/P1zJPG-b0 3 years ago
- How can we make a better internet together? wp.me/p1zJPG-kL 3 years ago
- Chatterbox wp.me/p1zJPG-kH 3 years ago
- Happy Valentine’s Day wp.me/p1zJPG-kF 3 years ago
- Easter is Coming wp.me/p1zJPG-kC 3 years ago
- Chatterbox – A Parent’s Guide to Their Child’s Digital Activities wp.me/p1zJPG-kz 3 years ago
- LOCATED Missing man, Broadbeach
- What a team
- Search for paddle board owner, Main Beach
- Speeding P-plater detected, Oxenford
- Woman charged over wilful damage and threats to police station – Coomera
- Update – Assault investigation arrest, Loganlea
- Dared to be scared this Halloween?
- Armed robbery, Varsity Lakes
- Sexual assault charges, Logan
- Police seize drugs and cash, Coomera
CyberSafety Net Tag Cloud21st century learning acma back up backup blog blogging blogs chatterbox Cloud computer repair shop cyberbullying cybersafety data digital footprint digital literacy digital natives domestic violence resource esmart esmartz eXperts external hard drive facebook flip the classroom free online tools group task innocent bystanders Instagram josh kidshelpline michael carr gregg National Cybersecurity Awareness Week new paradigms open source parental conrol bar parents parent zone pd pla qsite repairs safer internet day safe search SDI 2013 search searching selfies sexting SID sid 2014 skydrive sloth social networking social networking sites software staff experts student welfare support sessions teachers teaching and learning technology plan threatening phone calls training tutorials twitter valentine verbal threats We Web 2.0 windows 8 workflow